Cleaning methods are often learned from the generation that came before. Learning how to clean by watching or helping a parent is the most common way people pick up cleaning habits. A tried and true cleaner used for decades is the ever-present bottle of bleach housed under the sink. Until recently, this cleaner was the go-to product used in the janitorial service industry and in homes to kill germs and clean everything from dishes to laundry, but the time has begun to come to an end.
Why not use bleach?
Simply put, it’s deadly. On top of it having a relatively short shelf life and losing its effectiveness quickly as it sits waiting for use, and the fact that it is corrosive, and can eat through metal, it can make people very ill. It’s true that bleach can kill deadly germs and bacteria like HIV and TB, but, unless, working in a hospital, those characteristics are unnecessary.
Eliminating germs, especially in the kitchen and the bathroom, is usually the main goal when cleaning these rooms. It might be surprising to learn that bleach-based products may not be as effective as previously thought when engaging in household cleaning. Bleaches used to clean surfaces struggles to pick up the actual dirt containing the bacterial elements that need to be eradicated. This is due to bleaches being a non-surfactant. This means that the chemicals in bleaches cannot break the surface tension of oily substances, rendering ineffective in cleaning most dirt. Other cleaners and detergents are usually designed as a surfactant to accomplish this.
Bleach & Your Health
Health concerns would probably stand, as the number one reason bleach-based products are becoming an antiquated cleaning product. The chemicals can cause serious breathing problems if inhaled. This is especially true if another cleaning product containing ammonia is used alongside bleach-based cleaners. These chemicals combined create a deadly gas and can poison anyone inhaling it.
Bleaches have also been known to cause irritation, rashes, and even burns when encountering bare skin. Eye irritation, sore throats, inflammation of mucous membranes, and links to cancer has also been traced back to this cleaner.
Bleach Alternatives: Hydrogen Peroxide Disinfectants
As a result of growing awareness of bleach’s toxicity to humans, many companies are veering away from bleach-based cleaners. Janitorial service companies often offer green cleaning alternatives that utilize natural, environmentally safe products. The Hydrogen Peroxide Disinfectant and cleaner CleanSolution uses as an alternative to bleach is: Oxivir®
Diversey’s Oxivir is a fast, safe disinfectant that can clean surfaces and kill bacteria and germs. Oxivir is hospital-grade strength and works quickly to eliminate viruses and infections like Hepatitis types B and C, strains of MRSA, Norovirus, and other diseases. In fact, Oxivir can be used to halt the spread of infection from blood-born pathogens. Due to its commercial appeal, Oxivir would be an ideal choice for a janitorial service company.
Though highly effective, Oxivir is gentle on the user. The cleaner does not give off heavy fumes, or irritate the eyes or nose. As a further convenience, Oxivir is available as spray or wipes, and can be purchased in a concentrated form for commercial use.