The term “Sick Building Syndrome” (SBS) is used to describe indoor air pollution. Keep reading to learn what causes it and how it can impact your team, customers and bottom line. Also, learn how you can avoid sick building syndrome.
Indoor pollution has a significant impact on health.
When people experience acute health issues because of time spent in a building but a specific illness or cause can’t be identified SBS is often the culprit. 30% of illnesses in new and remodeled buildings worldwide may be related to poor indoor air quality according to a 1984 World Health Organization report.
SBS symptoms can range from mild to severe.
Short term effects include irritation to the eyes, nose and throat, headaches, dizziness and fatigue. Long term effects show up years after exposure and can include respiratory diseases, heart disease and cancer.
A range of sources cause indoor air pollution.
- Janitorial Cleaning products: toxic chemicals, vacuums, equipment and supplies
- Combustion sources: oil, gas, wood, coal
- Building materials and furnishings: asbestos, wet/damp carpets, mold
- Central heating and cooling systems: poor ventilation, dirty filters
- Outdoor pollution (janitorial and cleaning companies can remove a lot of it)
How SBS can impact your business.
The health of your space impacts how customers think about it and how productive your employees can be. Simply put: if customers feel at east in your space, they’ll come back more often. And, if employees feel taken care of and safe, they work better. Ultimately, your bottom line benefits from a clean space.
We can help you avoid sick building syndrome.
- We only use non-toxic products. They will not contribute to more indoor pollution. Also, we don’t use volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- Our cleaning methods eliminate or drastically reduce the chances of bacteria, viruses and mold.
- Our cleaning supplies are safely transported and stored.
- We color code our cleaners and microfiber cloths for efficiency and to avoid cross-contamination.
- We use vacuum filters that retain 99% + of all particles, meaning less micro debris to breathe in or spread around.
These are just some of the ways that Cleansolution can help you create a clean environment. Contact Cleansolution today to learn how our cleaning methods can keep your building healthy and help you avoid “Sick Building Syndrome.”