How to select the right cleaning company for your business is the real challenge.
Choosing the right commercial cleaning company for your facility is an important decision and it can feel a bit overwhelming. It’s always a good idea to check customer reviews online or ask another company for a referral. But getting a good commercial cleaning company is only half the battle. Getting the right cleaning company for your unique business is the real challenge. What works for the business next door might be completely wrong for your building, leading to frustration and constant cleaning staff turnover. That’s why we’re sharing an important part of how to select a cleaning company—key questions that will clarify if a cleaning company aligns to your needs and hopes.
Gathering important information and details about a company upfront will save you time, money and stress in the long run. Remember – these people will be in your building on a regular basis and tasked with maintaining the public image of your business. Not to mention, they’ll be your first line of defense against outbreaks of illnesses like Covid-19 and influenza.
Plus, an attentive cleaning staff can alert you to problems in your building that might otherwise go unnoticed – leaks, mold, pest problems, dirty air ducts … things that could cost you big time down the road.
So how do you know if the cleaning company you’re considering will really be the right fit for your business in the long run? Start by asking these 5 key questions.
#1: Is this cleaning service a good value for my business?
When we say “good value,” we don’t mean “the cheapest service out there.” A big part of how to select a cleaning company is to look for the whole package: cost-effective, responsive, a full-range of services and specialized expertise for those tricky jobs.
There are a lot of companies out there who can handle basic janitorial tasks i.e. dusting, emptying trash cans, vacuuming etc. But for the best value, you want a comprehensive commercial cleaning company.
Why? Because when you bundle all your cleaning services together – daily janitorial, supply ordering, deeping cleaning, yearly maintenance – you’ll save money and enjoy the convenience of only managing one contract with one company.
Our solution: We offer comprehensive cleaning plans, tailor-made to suit your building and your budget. We also partner with an entire network of smaller commercial cleaning companies, so that we can offer you even more services. Learn more!
#2: Do they have the expertise for your building’s unique needs?
There is no such thing as “one size fits all” cleaning! Make sure that the cleaning company you’re interviewing understands exactly what you need, including any industry-specific factors. It’s also helpful to gather some basic information about your building before you start looking for a cleaning company. Here are some examples:
- Floor plans and square footage – this is the starting point for an accurate quote. Also be sure to include details about how many floors your business occupies and any other details about its location.
- Workplace density – this refers to your building’s occupancy per square foot. High-density buildings require more intensive cleaning than low-density buildings.
- Fragile/unique features – some buildings contain elements like vintage flooring, antique glass or specialty finishes that require an extra level of expertise.
- Industry standards – make sure you communicate what level of cleaning your building requires. Some cleaning companies specialize in certain industries. Asking for examples of their other clients may give you a better idea of their capabilities.
- Multi-use spaces – modern workplaces may include cafes, gyms, entertaining areas, video conferencing rooms and more. Make sure your cleaning partner understands the traffic flow in your building and can handle all the different spaces included.
- Environmental concerns – if eco-friendly products and low-waste cleaning methods are a priority, make sure you ask if the cleaning service can meet your standards.
Our solution: we work with a broad range of industries and offer specialty services for buildings that require extra care. One example is our work with Ziba, a design firm housed in a Class A, multi-occupant building. Learn more!
#3: How are the employees treated & compensated?
After 20 years in the cleaning business, here’s something we know for sure: people matter. Our employees are at the heart of everything we do. But why should how we manage our staff matter to you?
It might not be the first thing you think of when figuring out how to select a cleaning company but it matters because employees who feel valued, heard, equipped and empowered are always more successful than those who feel unappreciated and overworked. Before you hire a cleaning company, find out what they’re doing to support their staff.
- Are people being paid fairly?
- Are their opportunities to move up in the company?
- Are the people doing the work trusted to make decisions and problem-solve for customers?
If you want to reduce disruptions and staff turnover in your building, you want to find a cleaning company that is taking good care of their employees.
Our solution: We’re so grateful for the people who helped us succeed in our early days and we’re always paying that generosity forward. That starts by paying fair, competitive wages and partnering with our Cleansolution Collective to support smaller businesses in our industry. Learn more!
#4 What happens in an emergency?
Last-minute hiccups are a fact of life! Burst pipes, storm damage, backed up sewer systems …every facility manager knows how quickly things can go wrong. But who can you call when life’s little emergencies pop up?
Your cleaning company should be flexible and responsive when you need it most. Be sure you ask about their emergency cleaning services.
- Do they have enough staff to cover last-minute emergencies?
- Do they take same-day requests for cleaning?
Don’t wait until the worst happens to find out! Knowing that your cleaning service will be there for you gives you peace of mind, no matter what.
Our solution: Not only do we offer rapid-response cleaning services for leaks, floods, storm damage and more, our partner companies can send you staff for moving crews, large events and other tasks. Learn more!
#5 What is their plan for customer service?
Ultimately, what you want is a cleaning service you can count on. If something comes up, they should be able to give you a clear plan for how the problem will be solved. And they should make it easy to adjust and tweak your cleaning plan until you’re getting exactly what you need.
- Is there a simple process for adding or removing services?
- Is there accountability and a clear chain of command for resolving issues?
- Do they have a guaranteed response time, if an emergency comes up?
Our solution: our customer service plan starts on day 1 with The Cleansolution Advantage. We’ll introduce you to the lead cleaners in charge of caring for your building and connect you with our systems for tracking communication and resolving service requests. We’ve been refining the way we care for customers for 20 years and we’re sure you’ll notice the difference! Learn more!
Schedule a consultation with us today!
We work with clients across every industry and we’d love to hear how we can help your business thrive. Schedule a consultation and experience the Cleansolution difference!